Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Some folk are born with knowledge of their goal

Thomas Thurman

Some folk are born with knowledge of their goal.
I've met them, though I'm not like that myself;
I'm wandering through life, a placid soul,
content to leave adventures on the shelf.
I've loved and lived without a way to know
the field where I should strive to be the best:
to pan for gold, or be a CEO,
or cure disease, or conquer Everest;
and likewise, you're a Poohstick in the stream:
you drift through life, without an end in mind.
We came together, neither with a dream,
both happy with our futures undefined,
our hoping open-ended; yet it seems
our life together's fashioned from our dreams.

Comment : Facebook Zindabad ! A friend pointed me to this collection of Thomas Thurman's poetry. Really liked easy-going-drifter tone and mood of the poem above. - Zen

1 comment:

Mary said...

I love that "Poohsticks in the stream" line so much.